This is one of the classic recipes that I fished out of my mother’s collection of recipes. This cake is absolutely one of the best tea cakes you will ever make. The minute you eat the cake you get this burst of different flavors lingering in your mouth which will last long. When paired with a classic vanilla ice cream you literally go to food heaven (if there is any). I’ve also given the vegan alternative ingredients. I believe there is another version which Maunika Gowardhan makes. You can source it from her book, which I don’t have.
- 2 and half cup all purpose flour or wheat flour (I used wheat flour)
- 4 crushed cardamon pods
- A handful of almonds which is to be powdered (I prefer coarse ground nuts because they really give some amazing nutty taste)
- Rose water 1/4 cup, I dint have rose water available at the moment so I added in five drops of rose essence in drinking water and added it.
- 1 cup butter or oil (vegetable or olive)
- A pinch of baking soda
- Add sugar according to your taste. I added in half cup sugar and quarter cup honey
- Add milk / almond milk (if you’re vegan) till the batter attains dropping consistency. If you want the flavor of rose water to dominate, add a few drops of the rose essence to your milk.
For the syrup:
- 1/2 cup rose water
- 3 cardamon pods
Sieve the baking powder and flour together at least twice. Add in butter/oil, sugar, crushed almonds (can be coarsely or finely powdered according to your choice). Mix them together nicely. Slowly add in the flour and mix, add the rose water and milk gradually till the batter attains dropping consistency. Add in the crushed cardamon pods and mix it well. Grease the pan and pour the batter. Preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius for 15 minutes, bake at 30 minutes for 180 degrees.
Meanwhile wash the utensils used, and prepare the syrup. Once the cake is cooled, prick little holes with a toothpick and add the syrup. If you prepare really small quantities of the syrup it’s really a win because you don’t want to make a lot and make the cake soggy by pouring a lot over it. Top it with crushed or full pistachios.